The Nanny Myth...

So, I need to vent for just a second. Recently, someone told Jason that it's really "no big deal" that we are having baby number 5, because we have a nanny. Now, for anyone who knows us personally, and actually is aware of the goings on of our lives, they know that our "nanny" (she's more like a regular sitter, or mother's helper) works actually very few hours a week. In fact, she doesn't usually work on the weekends, or past 5 in the afternoon, and usually works 2-3 afternoons a week. Sure, I know, that people hear the word "nanny" and immediately think it's some woman that lives with us, that takes care of the kids 24/7. But, that's simply not the case here. She is a great sitter for the kids, and 9 times out of 10, I am here too, trying to get my chores around the house done, or if I do leave it's to pick up someone (I do have 3 pick up times at the preschool!) or do the grocery shopping. I am not sure why I feel the need to explain all of this, but I do. Jason and I work VERY hard and I wouldn't want anyone to get the idea that we are sitting back eating bon bons! This position was created out of sheer necessity, remember, at one point, we had a 12 month old, and 2 preemie newborns. Now, it's MUCH easier with an almost 5 year old, 2 4 year olds, and an almost 2 year old (ok, not really) but the position sort of stuck. We've been extremely lucky to find people that care about our kids, and that are happy to do it on a regular basis!

I guess it's just a little irritating when I hear that people have this perception of what's going here. Especially since most nights I fall into bed from exhaustion, and that's certainly not from sitting at the nail salon all day or sitting around eating bon bons!

Thanks for listening...I just HAD to get this off my chest!!! :)

1 comment:

cat said...

OH I know what you mean! Mine is only at home when I am not there and at work.