What I did, the short version!

So, what did I do? I said, quite loudly, "WE do not hit babies!" to the little girl. The mom, never looked up. So, I said it again, loudly, finally, a glance. "Oh, did my Shemily do something to the baby?" Damn straight she did, I, in my best country club tone said, "Ah, yes, she hit the baby!" How in the world she didn't see this from her vantage point 2 feet away is beyond me. So, she yanked Shemily out of the pool and marched her over to the big pool to play. What did she say to me you ask? NOTHING!!!!! Not an apology, not some excuse, barely even eye contact. O.k., so we would all be mortified if our 3 and half year old smacked a baby, but come on, at least make some attempt to remedy the situation.

I did not return to the baby pool that afternoon, poor Cooper was scared to go back in. The other mother who saw it all go down, said, "Wow, you skated out of there!" My reply, "What was I supposed to do, wait there until she decided she wanted to it again?" No thanks. It's hard enough to keep up with 4 of my own kids at a pool, let alone trying to watch someone else's psychotic child. That kids need some serious anger management therapy, and quick!

2 comments:

Live.Love.Eat said...

came over from SITS. Love your blog. You have a beautiful fam!!!

Trooper Thorn said...

Discipline is in short supply these days. I pushed a younger kid under the water at a pool when I was around 7. My mom held me under for about 5 seconds (but is seemed longer). Not surprisingly I never pushed anyone under again.

Maybe you could get one of your older kids to bodyguard the baby. Shemily will not be "on the list".